About to head out to RecentChangesCamp 2008 in Palo Alto, CA… see y’all there!
A few months ago I whined about the Google Maps transit planner not working very well.
Well somewhere since I last looked, they fixed it!
Transit directions now include San Francisco MUNI bus and train routes and walking to/from stations, so you can actually put in start and end points and get something useful! The alternate route selection is a little different from the driving directions (you get a short list of a few options, rather than being able to click and drag waypoints to whatever route you like), but still quite useful; it comes up with pretty close facsimiles to the three alternate commute routes I use in reality.
Now if they can just integrate the transit lookups into the iPhone Google Maps widget… d’oh!
Ok, so we finally got the FlaggedRevs for German Wikipedia config set up… then turned it off after a few minutes.
We did, alas, encounter a few problems, which didn’t come up as much in earlier testing, but came up *hard* in a few minutes around 3am at Wikipedia.
The nice small versioning marker is really nice, but that’s way too disruptive, and we’ll need to get it worked out one way or another.
Second, some of the reporting pages weren’t working, in part due to some last-minute tweaks to the DB layout to make it easier to deploy. (This should be fixed now.)
Third, the “redirected from” subtitles are being broken, which’ll disrupt some general editing functionality in an unpleasant way. An example on de.labs test wiki.
Once the UI bits are fixed up, we’ll give it another test run… und FlaggedRevs kommt wieder!
I did a quick look last night through our database error logs for the last week or so, breaking them down by function and error type. Here’s the top ten function-err loci:
|620||Article::updateCategoryCounts||1213||Deadlock found when trying to get lock; Try restarting transaction|
|240||Article::insertOn||1062||Duplicate entry ‘N-XXX’ for key 2|
|41||Article::doDeleteArticle||1213||Deadlock found when trying to get lock; Try restarting transaction|
|26||LinksUpdate::incrTableUpdate||1213||Deadlock found when trying to get lock; Try restarting transaction|
|19||TitleKey::prefixSearch||1030||Got error 28 from table handler|
|9||Title::invalidateCache||1213||Deadlock found when trying to get lock; Try restarting transaction|
|9||2013||Lost connection to MySQL server during query|
|8||User::saveSettings||1205||Lock wait timeout exceeded; Try restarting transaction|
|8||TitleKey::prefixSearch||2003||Can’t connect to MySQL server on ‘XXX’|
|7||Job::pop||1213||Deadlock found when trying to get lock; Try restarting transaction|
A large chunk of our DB errors are from conflicting transactions; the number one spot is currently taken up by updates to category counts, which is often part of an expensive page deletion transaction.
We’re often pretty lazy about rerunning database transactions when they’re rolled back, throwing an error and making the end-user resubmit the change. This is kind of lame, but at least the transaction rollback theoretically keeps the database consistent.
The number two spot seems to be for conflicting page creations — possibly due to automatic resubmissions after a slow save operation.
There’s a few “disk full” errors, which were probably due to a transitory error on one DB box.