In addition to my in-browser ogv.js media player, I’ve got an OgvKit framework in progress for native iPhone and iPad apps, which I hope to integrate into Wikipedia’s new iOS app somewhere down the line.Â I took a littleÂ Independence Day holiday time and made a bunch of improvementsÂ from where I last left it a few months ago:
(If the video is sideways, sorry — it’s still “processing” as of this writing.)
- Color conversionÂ is OpenGL ES-accelerated, cutting CPU usageÂ in half when playing video.
- Audio output actually works, more or less inÂ sync.
- FrameworkÂ now packaged as a Cocoa Touch Static Library project
Future work for another weekend:
- It turns outÂ the xiph.org git mirrors of theora etc areÂ not being maintained; will switch fetching of library source to SVN.
- Improved controls, seeking, fullscreen
- Cache downloaded data on disk instead of RAM!
- Move more of the player code from the demo into the library so it can be reused…
- Test standalone packaging of the library so it can be dropped in to other projects easily
- Try to get assemblyÂ in libtheora toÂ build, and/or replace the ARM assembly code with C SIMD intrinsics
- Find and test on an armv7s device (iPhone 5, 5C or iPad 4th-generation)