Over the last few weekends I’ve continued to poke at ogv.js, both the core library and the experimental MediaWiki integration. It’s getting pretty close to merge-ready!
Recent improvements to ogv.js player (gerrit changeset):
- Audio no longer super-choppy in background tabs
- ‘ended’ is no longer unreasonably delayed
- various code cleanup
- ogvjs-version.js with build timestamp available for use as a cache-buster helper
Fixes to the MediaWiki TimedMediaHandler desktop player integration (gerrit changeset):
- Post-playback behavior is now the same as when using native playback
- Various code cleanup
Fixes to the MediaWiki MobileFrontend mobile player integration (gerrit changeset):
- Autoplay now working with native playback in Chrome and Firefox
- Updated to work with current MobileFrontend (internal API changes)
- Mobile media overlay now directly inherits from the MobileFrontend photo overlay class instead of duplicating it
- Slow-CPU check is now applied on mobile player — this gets ogv.js video at 160p working on an old iPhone 4S running iOS 7! Fast A7-based iPhones/iPads still get 360p.
While we’re at it, Microsoft is opening up a public ‘suggestion box’ for Internet Explorer — folks might want to put in their votes for native Ogg Vorbis/Theora and WebM playback.
2 thoughts on “ogv.js MediaWiki integration updates”
Oh, I see that https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/#/c/165477/ has already been merged into MediaWiki – so that’s awesome!
Comments are closed.